System configuration tests analyze the selected servers to determine whether they are properly configured for working together in a failover cluster. The system configuration tests include the following:
- Validate Active Directory Configuration: This test validates that each tested server is in the same domain and organizational unit. It also validates that all tested servers are domain controllers or that all are member servers. To change the domain role of a server, use the Active Directory® Domain Services Installation Wizard.
- Validate All Drivers Signed: This test validates that all tested servers contain only signed drivers. If an unsigned driver is detected, the test is not considered a failure, but a warning is issued.
The purpose of signing drivers is to tell you whether the drivers on your system are original, unaltered files that either came with the operating system or were supplied by a vendor.
You can get a list of system drivers and a list of unsigned drivers by running the corresponding inventory tasks. For more information, see Understanding Cluster Validation Tests: Inventory.
- Validate Cluster Service and Driver Settings: This test validates the startup settings used by services and drivers, such as the Cluster service, NetFT.sys, and Clusdisk.sys.
- Validate Memory Dump Settings: This test validates that none of the nodes currently requires a reboot (as part of a software update) and that each node is configured to capture a memory dump if it stops running.
- Validate Operating System Installation Option: This test validates that the operating systems on the servers use the same installation option (full installation or Server Core installation).
- Validate Required Services: This test validates that the services that are required for failover clustering are running on each tested server and are configured to start automatically whenever the server is restarted.
- Validate Same Processor Architecture: This test validates that all tested servers have the same architecture. A failover cluster is supported only if the systems in it are all x64-based or all Itanium architecture-based.
- Validate Service Pack Levels: This test validates that all tested servers have the same service packs. A failover cluster can run even if some servers have different service packs than others. However, servers with different service packs might behave differently from each other, with unexpected results. We recommend that all servers in the failover cluster have the same service packs.
- Validate Software Update Levels: This test validates that all tested servers have the same software updates. A failover cluster can run even if some servers have different updates than others. However, servers with different software updates might behave differently from each other, with unexpected results. We recommend that all servers in the failover cluster have the same software update levels.
- Validate System Drive Variable: This test validates that all nodes use the same letter for the system drive environment variable.